Saturday 5 April 2008

Meditation

Meditation - Alternative Therapies - Kathy Sykes

Kathy, physicist with a PhD, explores a mriyad of sources to understand if there is any conclusive scientific evidence behind meditation. From Kathmandu to Maharishi Mahesh "Vedic Village" in the USA, she discovers meditation from different angles and comes to the conclusion, which us Hindu's were aware of a long time ago (we did invent it of course!) - meditation is incredibly powerful at healing a vast array of ailments as well as having positive impact on normal individuals. (Read more here)

I was particularly interested by the effect of Meditation to reduce blood pressure and stress levels, producing happy hormones that impacted health. Depression and heart disease are two areas I have experienced in my family and apparently, Meditation can remove/reduce both.

Well - I got the ball rolling by taking my parents to Yoga (at Niran Kari Bhavan, West Bromwich - Dr Praveen Kuman is the Yoga Teacher) and when I go along after a tiresome day at work, I certainly feel much more energised afterwards.

Me thinks I need to put my money where my mouth is and try out meditation seriously... perhaps force myself to sit in peace for 30 mins daily (esp now as I'm off work for a bit)... lets see what happens!

More info on BBC Alternative Therapies - and to get Free Guide click HERE

Further Pschological evidence on this including "mindfulness-based cognitive behavioural therapy (MBCBT)" is found here.

Link: 20 practical tips for quieting the mind

No comments: