Saturday 5 April 2008

Pain can be a good thing...

Perhaps this may just be the optimist in me, but as I lay here resting my operated broken foot, I have come to empathise what others have to go through when enduring similar kinds of anguish. In fact, its not bad now, but the real 'learning experience' was in hospital.

I was in a nice private ward with a flat screen TV and good food. Got quite bored actually by the fact that there's no-one to speak to either side of you (as you usually get in NHS hospitals!). So it got me thinking... just lying here, your back starts to ache and you get fidgety. After watching another lame film you try to read, but the affects of anesthetic are still floating around your blood so you just don't have stamina to read very much before feeling sleepy.

My auntie (foiba) has been in hospital many times for arthritis and my father recently had by-pass heart surgery. When we go an visit, you imagine it must be tough but also quite relaxing resting in bed as they do. However, its only when your stuck there yourself you realise how frustrating and uncomfortable it is... going for a pee 'in the toilet', changing your clothes, having a shower - to mention a few luxuries you start to miss!

I feel like I can relate more to a patients suffering.

Another thing that was actually quite fun is the nurses... they provide entertainment when to relieve the boredom. I ended up leaving with a bit of a (positive) reputation!

No comments: