Friday 9 May 2008

Ego and Spirit

Imagine this scene if you will.

Two babies are in utero confined to the wall of their mother's womb, and they are having a conversation. For the sake of clarity we'll call these twins Ego and Spirit.

Spirit says to Ego, "I know you are going to find
this difficult to accept, but I truly believe there is
life after birth."


Ego responds, "Don't be ridiculous. Look around you. This is all there is. Why must you always be thinking about something beyond this reality?
Accept your lot in life. Make yourself comfortable and forget about
all this life-after-birth nonsense."
Spirit quiets down for a while, but her inner voice
won't allow her to remain silent any longer. "Ego, now
don't get mad, but I have something else to say. I
also believe that there is a Mother."

"A Mother!" Ego guffaws. "How can you be so absurd?
Youv'e never seen a Mother. Why can't you accept that
this is all there is? The idea of a Mother is crazy.
You are here alone with me. This is your reality. Now
grab hold of that cord. Go into your corner and stop
being so silly. Trust me, there is no Mother."

Spirit reluctantly stops her conversation with Ego,
but her restlessness soon gets the better of her.
"Ego," she implores, "please listen without rejecting
my idea. Somehow I think that those constant pressures
we both feel, those movements that make us so
uncomfortable at times, that continual repositioning
and all of that closing in that seems to be taking
place as we keep growing, is getting us ready for a
place of glowing light, and we will experience it very
soon."

"Now I know you are absolutely insane," replies
Ego. "All you've ever known is darkness. Youv'e never
seen the light. How can you even contemplate such an
idea? Those movements and pressures you feel are your
reality. You are a distinct separate being. This is
your journey and you're on your own. Darkness and
pressures and a closed-in feeling is what life is all
about. You'll have to fight it as long as you live.
Now grab your cord and please stay still.
Spirit relaxes for a while, but finally she can
contain herself no longer. "Ego, I have only one more
thing to say, and then I'll never bother you again."
"Go ahead," Ego responds impatiently.

"I believe all of these pressures and all of this
discomfort is not only going to bring us to a new
celestial light, but when we experience it, we are
going to meet Mother face-to-face and know an ecstasy
that is beyond anything we have ever experienced up
until now."
"You really are crazy, Spirit. Now I'm truly
convinced of it."

-by Dr. Wayne Dyer in his book "Your Sacred Self"

1 comment:

Khandbapa said...

Fantastic. I love the way this has been explained. I've forwarded it to my friends, I know they'll enjoy it too!